Saturday, July 19, 2008

Its me again...

So I don't mean to blog so much, but I need your opinions right quick.

So the little boy next door (Jaden) moved out and his parents rented his house out. Turns out the renters have 3 kids too (Edger, John and Angelica). Jaden is a bad kid. He is rude, and has no respect for his mom. He yells, hits and was just not a very good friend to Spencer. I was relieved when he moved because I did not have to tell Spencer he could not play with Jaden any more. Well turns out his parents keep coming back to work on the house, and Jaden and the other 3 kids have become friends. I love the other kids, they are very respectful and just nice quiet kids. Very good impressions on my son. Glad to have them over. My problem is, Jaden keeps coming over with them to ask if Spencer can play. I used the sick thing as an excuse yesterday, and tried it today too, but they came back again and asked again if Spencer could play. I ended up answering the door for Spencer this time (he has a hard time repeating what I am saying, and I wanted them to understand that he would not be playing today). Jaden was out there, but he was hiding. While they were here the first time, I had Spencer ask them to stop looking in the windows. They will come up to the front door, and look in the windows before knocking on the door. Yesterday I was sleeping on the couch while Bella was napping, and I was still in my jammies (tank top, not kid appropriate). I sat up, having a minor coronary, and they were all looking in at me. I was so embarrassed. That brings me to Jaden hiding, yelling "look in their windows!!". That was 30 minutes after Spencer asked them to stop looking in the windows. RUDE!!! I has already said to Angelica that he could not play because Bella was still sick and I did not want it to be passed to them, when I heard Jaded yell that. That is when I said... "Jaden. I think you need to work on your respect. I am not letting Spencer play today because you are here, and I do not want his to learn to be disrespectful like you are.", that is when I turned to Angelica and said I was sorry, and maybe he could play another time.

So, my question is, did I do the wrong thing? We have told Spencer why he is not playing with Jaden, and he understands. My son is smart, and will be respectful. Well, as long as I am around. It is sad that I have to tell him that Jaden is rude, and that he can not play with him. I just wonder if I am doing the right thing, or if I should just trust that he will know wrong from right at 6 years old and not take on the bad. Please write me back and tell me what you think. I really want to hear from ALL of you. You all always have good opinions, and are all good people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont think you did anything wrong. Kids like this Jaden are very smart, and manipulative. He knows exactly what he is doing when he acts out and deliberately disobeys anyone who tells him what to do or what not to do. Aside from speaking with his parents (perhaps the father if the mother is not doing anything about him yelling at her), all you really can do is keep Spencer away from him. Of course you trust your own son to act proper and not learn to be out of control but I suspect that it would wear off on him a little when Jaden was around but wear back off after Jaden is gone for a few days. It is just life and part of growing up. Spencer is smart and has a great foundation along with two loving parents. He will be fine. Unfortunately for Jaden, it doesnt sound like he will. To me, it seems as if possibly the child has a lot of self-esteem issues and doesnt get too much positive attention. Which leads me to the other half of my comment. Maybe, just maybe, Jaden could reep benefits from spending time with Spencer. Spencer could wear off off Jaden and be a good influence. However, it is likely that most of their time together would need to be supervised. You wouldnt want Jaden getting ahold of matches! Hahaha! But seriously, maybe the child just needs love and good influences in his life. I hope this helped. It was a lot to type on my little PDA phone. :p

Debbie~ said...

Thats a tough one Cori, you and John need to talk it out and do what your heart tells ya! Nothing worse than a nasty neighbor kid~ mean kid in class, creep at work...Ugh! Wish we could just push the easy button on that one...:( Or, the eject button and off they go into the black hole...